Pondering Palin

Exacting vengeance on America haters is a secondary goal. :)

If you were truly trying to expose the haters you wouldn't be the partisan that you are.

Expressing support for breaking US laws is not exactly showing a love of country.

She did well against Biden in the debate that I saw. She was nervous the first few minutes with him glaring at her, but she regained her composure and stuck it to that little Chia Pet bastard. She's obviously a quick learner, got spunk and can handle herself with bullies. I think she'd make a great President someday.
Outstanding job SM. You helped Adam make his point about who supports Palin better than he could.

Protecting US interests is not against the law. *shrug*

When laws are passed expressly forbidding providing arms or funds to terrorist groups, then providing arms and funds to those terrorist groups is against the law and against the US Constitution.

"I like meme as much as the next guy, but beating her up doesn't get Americans healthcare."

Nothing else that is done in the context of this board does, either.

I don't come here to change the world. I try to in other aspects of life, but I have no illusions about the reach & purpose of this board.

This board is reflective of political thought in the wider society. Just as there is no outrage on this board from the left over Obama's obvious failings, there is no outrage in the wider society from the left over his failings. My comment was not just about what we do on this board.

Additionally, being part of the outrage and protest against Bush and the Iraq War, Vietnam, and civil rights, I recognize the power of outrage .. and more importantly, the power of participatory government. Too often we sit on our asses and blame politicians for all that ails our country .. when in fact all we've done is sit on our asses and complain.

Bareknuckle is a good writer. I'd like to see his work on something more important and critical to our survival than Sarah Palin.

This was not meant to be an attack on you or anyone in particular, including bareknuckle.

.. just a thought from an old activist.

Outstanding job SM. You helped Adam make his point about who supports Palin better than he could.
In Adam's post I responded to he doesn't say who supports Palin, but if he thinks true conservatives support her, then he is right. *shrug*

When laws are passed expressly forbidding providing arms or funds to terrorist groups, then providing arms and funds to those terrorist groups is against the law and against the US Constitution.

All US laws are in support of the constitution unless the supreme court says otherwise.
At least that is my understanding of how the constitution works.

This board is reflective of political thought in the wider society. Just as there is no outrage on this board from the left over Obama's obvious failings, there is no outrage in the wider society from the left over his failings. My comment was not just about what we do on this board.

Additionally, being part of the outrage and protest against Bush and the Iraq War, Vietnam, and civil rights, I recognize the power of outrage .. and more importantly, participatory government. Too often we sit on our asses and blame politicians for all that ails our country .. when in fact all we've done is sit on our asses and complain.

Bareknuckle is a good writer. I'd like to see his work on something more important and critical to our survival than Sarah Palin.

This was not meant to be an attack on you or anyone in particular, including bareknuckle.

Aren't you posting on this board and outraged?

Additionally, being part of the outrage and protest against Bush and the Iraq War, Vietnam, and civil rights, I recognize the power of outrage .. and more importantly, the power of participatory government. Too often we sit on our asses and blame politicians for all that ails our country .. when in fact all we've done is sit on our asses and complain.

I belive in activism, but again, taking a few pot shots at Palin once in awhile is hardly a distraction from real issues.

Also, as you know, I do not share your outrage about the current admin. I knew that they were going to increase troops in Afghanistan & take a year or so to withdraw from Iraq. As I have said many times, I think we created situations in both countries where we bear responsibility, and I was never one who thought it responsible for us to withdraw immediately from either country.

As for the economy, again, we have disagreed; I think Obama has addressed both Wall Street & Main Street, which I see as vitally interconnected, anyway. I think the jury is out on the stimulus; I am concerned about the pace of spending, but that concern does not yet even come close to approaching outrage.

We could debate on these topics & others for hours I'm sure, but the plain fact is, I do not share your outrage about the present admin.

Odd as it may appear on the face of it, I have to agree with both Southern Man and Adam Weinberg.

Though Biden demonstrated his mastery of policy during the VP debate, Palin acquitted herself with great aplomb. Particularly given the expectations of the evening. While Biden won on policy, she scored points on style, poise and grace.

In the end, the rationale for both candidates’ selection by their running mates came through in their performance.

Biden clearly was the voice of experience; speaking forcefully on issues he was intimately familiar with having served in the Senate for the better part of four decades.

Palin was energetic and engaging; aggressively attacking the Democratic ticket in her homespun heartland style even while smiling and winking at the audience. Though her repeated down home colloquialisms wore thin on many observers, they reinforced a sense of authenticity and the belief that she is if nothing else genuine. This, in and of itself, was refreshing for voters used to the contrived and carefully manicured candidates that have come to dominate the political scene.

While pundits generally towed their respective political party’s line in their opinions of who won the evening, multiple polls gave the nod to Biden; with Rassmussen giving him a 45% to 37% victory and Zogby placing the spread at nine with a favorable 50% to 41% decision in the Delaware Democrat’s favor.

Though loosing the debate in the eyes of voters, Palin nonetheless scored a victory for her credibility as 85% of viewers indicated she had done better than they had expected. In exceeding the expectations of conventional wisdom and dispelling the image of her being nothing more than the political equivalent of a trophy wife, she successfully returned the focus of the campaign back to McCain; where it rightfully belonged.

However, I must also say that at this point, as Adam indicated, I don't believe Palin has a command of the issues that would allow her to mount a credible challenge to Obama in a debate.

Could we find ourselves facing a repeat of 1980, where the electorate is so worn out with wonkish chastisement and malaise that it embraces an optimistic homespun can-do style? Of course; anything is possible in politics and 3 years and 4 months is literally an eternity in the game.

One of Palin's strengths is she has an innate political sense and style. Much like Reagan, she can speak sincerely to and connect with the common man. However, and let me assure you I am by no means a liberal elitist or a country club gun, if she is serious about running for the Oval Office, the best thing she could do over the next two years is to undertake a rigorous curriculum of study in economics and foreign policy.

She might also want to brush up on a bit of geography along the way, just to be safe.

I'd also strongly suggest she subscribe to Current History, Foreign Policy, Foreign Affairs and The National Interest. That should give her a broad cross section of perspectives on foreign policy and national security.

But seriously, were Palin to augment her innate political skills with some serious intellectual depth, she would truly be a force to be reckoned with.

And feared.

As Merlin said in Excalibur, "To some a dream; to others a nightmare!"

Last edited:
I belive in activism, but again, taking a few pot shots at Palin once in awhile is hardly a distraction from real issues.

Also, as you know, I do not share your outrage about the current admin. I knew that they were going to increase troops in Afghanistan & take a year or so to withdraw from Iraq. As I have said many times, I think we created situations in both countries where we bear responsibility, and I was never one who thought it responsible for us to withdraw immediately from either country.

As for the economy, again, we have disagreed; I think Obama has addressed both Wall Street & Main Street, which I see as vitally interconnected, anyway. I think the jury is out on the stimulus; I am concerned about the pace of spending, but that concern does not yet even come close to approaching outrage.

We could debate on these topics & others for hours I'm sure, but the plain fact is, I do not share your outrage about the present admin.

I respect your opinions, although I don't share them. No outrage over his attacks on civil liberties? I'm lost.

However, as usual, your thoughts are well stated my brother.

Odd as it may appear on the face of it, I have to agree with both Southern Man and Adam Weinberg.

Though Biden demonstrated his mastery of policy during the VP debate, Palin acquitted herself with great aplomb. Particularly given the expectations of the evening. While Biden won on policy, she scored points on style, poise and grace.

In the end, the rationale for both candidates’ selection by their running mates came through in their performance.

Biden clearly was the voice of experience; speaking forcefully on issues he was intimately familiar with having served in the Senate for the better part of four decades.

Palin was energetic and engaging; aggressively attacking the Democratic ticket in her homespun heartland style even while smiling and winking at the audience. Though her repeated down home colloquialisms wore thin on many observers, they reinforced a sense of authenticity and the belief that she is if nothing else genuine. This, in and of itself, was refreshing for voters used to the contrived and carefully manicured candidates that have come to dominate the political scene.

While pundits generally towed their respective political party’s line in their opinions of who won the evening, multiple polls gave the nod to Biden; with Rassmussen giving him a 45% to 37% victory and Zogby placing the spread at nine with a favorable 50% to 41% decision in the Delaware Democrat’s favor.

Though loosing the debate in the eyes of voters, Palin nonetheless scored a victory for her credibility as 85% of viewers indicated she had done better than they had expected. In exceeding the expectations of conventional wisdom and dispelling the image of her being nothing more than the political equivalent of a trophy wife, she successfully returned the focus of the campaign back to McCain; where it rightfully belonged.

However, I must also say that at this point, as Adam indicated, I don't believe Palin has a command of the issues that would allow her to mount a credible challenge to Obama in a debate.

Could we find ourselves facing a repeat of 1980, where the electorate is so worn out with wonkish chastisement and malaise that it embraces an optimistic homespun can-do style? Of course; anything is possible in politics and 3 years and 4 months is literally an eternity in the game.

One of Palin's strengths is she has an innate political sense and style. Much like Reagan, she can speak sincerely to and connect with the common man. However, and let me assure you I am by no means a liberal elitist or a country club gun, if she is serious about running for the Oval Office, the best thing she could do over the next two years is to undertake a rigorous curriculum of study in economics and foreign policy.

She might also want to brush up on a bit of geography along the way, just to be safe.

I'd also strongly suggest she subscribe to Current History, Foreign Policy, Foreign Affairs and The National Interest. That should give her a broad cross section of perspectives on foreign policy and national security.

But seriously, were Palin to augment her innate political skills with some serious intellectual depth, she would truly be a force to be reckoned with.

And feared.

As Merlin said in Excalibur, "To some a dream; to others a nightmare!"

You cannot be serious.

Rest assured, Coal. No offense taken and thank you for the compliment.

And yes, were she to do some strenuous intellectual lifting and aggressively engage in some honest and open policy debates, she could well become a formidable political force.

Don't confuse a lack of discipline with a lack of ability. I believe she, like the vast majority of people, has the ability to strengthen her intellectual muscles. The question, though, is does she have the drive, discipline and desire.

Last edited:
Back