The Ethics of Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
What right do you have to tell someone to not commit suicide? If someone wants to die, why can't they? We should have euthenasia programs available to anyone who wants euthenasia.

do you think suicidal ideation indicates depression, a medical condition that needs to be treated?

do you think suicidal ideation indicates depression, a medical condition that needs to be treated?

Not necessarily. If you're sentenced to life in prison for placing a bomb at a Synagogue or African-American Sunday school class and the first week in prison is you getting assfucked by your block's entire Aryan Nation gang, would committing suicide be depression? Would therapy and a xanax stop you from getting assfucked every day for the rest of your life? Wouldn't suicide just be your "exit strategy"?

4xwz4b.jpg

There's a lot they're wrong about. For starters, Jesus was an end-times preacher who thought the world was going to end in his generation.
1. That would make Jesus (a Jew) wrong, not Christians as a class.
2. I see no logical way to draw that from the Bible. I'll have to ask gfm7175 about this. He's my go-to expert on Biblical matters. I'll find out and get back to you.

Not necessarily. If you're sentenced to life in prison for placing a bomb at a Synagogue or African-American Sunday school class and the first week in prison is you getting assfucked by your block's entire Aryan Nation gang, would committing suicide be depression? Would therapy and a xanax stop you from getting assfucked every day for the rest of your life? Wouldn't suicide just be your "exit strategy"?

4xwz4b.jpg

yes. necessarily.

you suck at psychology.

and im neither violent, nor a revolutionary.

only the lefty blm antifa groups you support have declared autonomous zones.

I think the system is still highly redeemable.

globalists are getting purged peacefully tho. they will be told their ideas are stupid en masse.

1. That would make Jesus (a Jew) wrong, not Christians as a class.
2. I see no logical way to draw that from the Bible. I'll have to ask gfm7175 about this. He's my go-to expert on Biblical matters. I'll find out and get back to you.

I know a lot about the Bible, actually. There's a group on Reddit called r/academicbiblical, and I email with a couple of the moderators there. (You can't be a moderator there unless you have verifiable credentials in this area.)

Regarding Jesus as a failed end-times preacher, the New Testament is full of evidence of early Christians coping with the failure of Jesus’ promise to return with their own generation.

During his mission, Jesus proclaimed that the Kingdom would arrive within his generation, probably while his disciples were still alive (Mark 1:15, 13:30; Matt 10:7).

When Christians began to die decades following the crucifixion, Paul and others coped with the anxiety of the delay by stating that some would still be alive (1 Thess. 4:15-17; Mark 9:1), including the high priest (Mark 14:62).

To deal with the delay, the author of Luke tones down Mark by removing “in power” in Mark 9:1. This is because for Luke the Kingdom has already “come to you” in Jesus’ own ministry (11:10). He also changes Mark 14:62 since the high priest was long dead (Luke 22:69).

When almost the entire first generation had died, “rumor spread in the community” that one disciple would still remain when the Kingdom arrived (John 21:22-23)

Then he too died, so it must have been that “Jesus did not say that he would not die.” Increase in delay caused “scoffers will come…saying, ‘Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since our ancestors died, all things continue as they were from the beginning of creation!” New arguments of defense arose, such as our concept of time being irrelevant because “With the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day” (2 Peter 3:3-8).

The author of John uses the “spiritual” tactic seen so often in apocalyptic movements following a delay. In short, the earthly kingdom is now a spiritual one, available in the present for all who are “born from above” (3:3, 5). The apocalyptic message about a coming Son of Man is absent.

By the time the Gospel of Thomas was written, a future kingdom is completely rejected by many Christians. “Rather, the (Father’s) kingdom is within you and it is outside you,” and “is spread out upon the earth, and people don’t see it” (Thom 3, 113; see also 18).

I would tell an anorexic that they're sick, but I wouldn't force them to eat. It's not my place to force anyone to do anything.

I don't know what you mean by "believe" in this context. Science isn't a matter of faith.

would you take them to the hospital if they collapsed in your presence and you were the only one around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back