‘Hamilton’ review

It's not my cup of tea, but I listened to bits and pieces of the soundtrack and it didn't strike me as atrocious.
Three hours of that with no actual dialogue. It was like Chinese drip torture. I thought it would never end.
Could be why I thought the music was so bad. On and on and on…. with no end in sight.

Last edited:
Three hours of that with no actual dialogue. It was like Chinese drip torture. I thought it would never end.
Could be why I thought the music was so bad. On and on and on…. with no end in sight.

I get it, but you said you were hating it after 20 minutes, not after three hours.

I don't think operas and theatrical musicals are supposed to have dialogue, and anyone who buys tickets should be aware of that ahead of time.

I get it, but you said you were hating it after 20 minutes, not after three hours.

I don't think operas and theatrical musicals are supposed to have dialogue, and anyone who buys tickets should be aware of that ahead of time.
Wife forced me to go (and she knew she fucked up)
Jersey Boys was a musical with dialogue.
So was Oliver! , Sound of Music, etc
I don’t go to operas, and wife knows this.
I already said this was more like an opera with bad music , a so so 5 piece band for an orchestra and some of the singers were just plain bad.
It was sold out yet I noticed there were empty seats after intermission.
Makes me wonder how many there were like me and the wife that suffered enduring the whole thing.

Last edited:
I saw the filmed original version and was surprised that I thought it was not impressive. I thought I was the only one since so many paid so much to see this show... but I also thought Cats was a stupid show, yeah, the original one from Broadway...

You know the one that everyone was paying like $900 to see with the original actor set... It was filmed. (No, I don't know if it was bootleg, but it was excellent quality filming so I don't think so).

I did like that King George was shown as a spittle sprinkling idiot, though I doubt that was accurate, it was mildly amusing.

Wife forced me to go (and she knew she fucked up)
Jersey Boys was a musical with dialogue.
So was Oliver! , Sound of Music, etc
I don’t go to operas, and wife knows this.
I already said this was more like an opera with bad music , a so so 5 piece band for an orchestra and some of the singers were just plain bad.
It was sold out yet I noticed there were empty seats after intermission.
Makes me wonder how many there were like me and the wife that suffered enduring the whole thing.

I had to see Cats with the spouse, but I think I knew going in there was no dialogue, and I studiously tried to avoid acting bored so I wouldn't ruin it for her.

I saw the filmed original version and was surprised that I thought it was not impressive. I thought I was the only one since so many paid so much to see this show... but I also thought Cats was a stupid show, yeah, the original one from Broadway...
I remember we actually did see Cats in Anchorage . It was so long ago that I don’t remember if I liked it or not.
But Hamilton is unforgettably bad.
At least the music in Cats was from the iconic Andrew Lloyd Weber.
This Miranda guy is no ALW.

I remember we actually did see Cats in Anchorage . It was so long ago that I don’t remember if I liked it or not.
But Hamilton is unforgettably bad.
At least the music in Cats was from the iconic Andrew Lloyd Weber.
This Miranda guy is no ALW.

Well, life has taught me we have to stoically endure some tortures to make sure the spouse can indulge her interests. I'm sure some movies I asked her to watch were boring for her.

. Well, life has taught me we have to stoically endure some tortures to make sure the spouse can indulge her interests.
Indeed!
. I'm sure some movies I asked her to watch were boring for her.
The few movies I go to (once a year at most) I usually do so alone. I know the wife doesn’t enjoy (al)most all movies.
Edit: Even I don't enjoy most movies.

Last edited:
Whether he did or not he gave an entirely accurate description of it - dreary

I've seen many of the very best black musicians, including Miles Davis, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Guy, Chaka Khan, George Clinton, Ben E. King, B. B. King, Stevie Wonder amongst others, where are their like now?

I had to see Cats with the spouse, but I think I knew going in there was no dialogue, and I studiously tried to avoid acting bored so I wouldn't ruin it for her.

Unlike anymouse who made his dislike well known to his spouse beginning 20 minutes into the play. LOL

I listened to the soundtrack yesterday and understood why white supremacist fuckwits wouldn't like it by the second song; it's about a bunch of non-whites rapping about revolution and fighting for their rights.

I was helping my wife with her she-shed, so I missed a few songs, but overall it was very interesting and sometimes funny. An interesting POV of early American history.

Unlike anymouse who made his dislike well known to his spouse beginning 20 minutes into the play. LOL

I listened to the soundtrack yesterday and understood why white supremacist fuckwits wouldn't like it by the second song; it's about a bunch of non-whites rapping about revolution and fighting for their rights.

I was helping my wife with her she-shed, so I missed a few songs, but overall it was very interesting and sometimes funny. An interesting POV of early American history.

It's not my cup of tea, but the snippets I heard certainly weren't musically appalling and atrocious.

I can see really old people psychologically stuck in 1964 being repulsed.

I've seen my share of opera and musicals with the spouse, and I feel like the worst thing I could do would be staring at my watch and sighing with boredom, because it would ruin her enjoyment of the experience.

It's not my cup of tea, but the snippets I heard certainly weren't musically appalling and atrocious.

I can see really old people psychologically stuck in 1964 being repulsed.

I've seen my share of opera and musicals with the spouse, and I feel like the worst thing I could do would be staring at my watch and sighing with boredom, because it would ruin her enjoyment of the experience.

Specifically the anti-American, white supremacist fuckwits.

Listening to the entire soundtrack allowed it to grow on me. I'll listen to it again this week and also watch it on Disney+ : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8503618/

Individually each piece was tolerable if all we had to do was hear segments interspersed with actual dialogue. What made it intolerable was that it was continuous and loud mediocre at best music and songs. Sure, there may have been a couple decent ones but if so they got lost in the muck.
As far as the wife , she asked me twice during the second act what time it was as. At the end of a performance she likes she’ll stand and applaud continuously. This time she skedaddled out ahead of me as quickly as possible without applauding.
The one thing I remember her saying once outside was that it was good to be in fresh air again.
The other thing was the high expectations based on the “universally acclaimed “. reviews.
Bull shit! It was too out of the ordinary for good musicals for everybody to like.
Like I said, there were a fair number of empty seats after intermission when it was sold out.

Individually each piece was tolerable if all we had to do was hear segments interspersed with actual dialogue. What made it intolerable was that it was continuous and loud mediocre at best music and songs. Sure, there may have been a couple decent ones but if so they got lost in the muck.
As far as the wife , she asked me twice during the second act what time it was as. At the end of a performance she likes she’ll stand and applaud continuously. This time she skedaddled out ahead of me as quickly as possible without applauding.
The one thing I remember her saying once outside was that it was good to be in fresh air again.
The other thing was the high expectations based on the “universally acclaimed “. reviews.
Bull shit! It was too out of the ordinary for good musicals for everybody to like.
Like I said, there were a fair number of empty seats after intermission when it was sold out.

Three hours is a long time to sit through any music.

I don't think I could handle a three hour Bruce Springsteen concert, and that's what he's known for.

Three hours is a long time to sit through any music.

I don't think I could handle a three hour Bruce Springsteen concert

One of my favorite Broadway Musicals ever was Smokey Joe's Café.
[I saw if off Broadway, but that's neither here nor there.]

They didn't bother with a meaningless plot at all.

They just presented a concert and called it a musical.

It was great.

More like that, please.

I didn't know it was on Disney plus, I'll have to ask my wife if she wants to watch it.

I'm half way through it now; just past the intermission. It's a 3 hour video of the NY play.

Interesting how they keep throwing in the maxim "I will not throw away my shot" since that's the opposite of what Hamilton said he'd do during his duel with Burr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloping
Delope (French for "throwing away") is the practice of deliberately wasting one's first shot in a pistol duel, an attempt to abort the conflict. The Irish code duello forbids the practice.

Notable uses
Alexander Hamilton, a 19th-century American politician, is thought to have attempted to delope during his infamous duel on July 11, 1804, with Aaron Burr, the Vice President of the United States. Rather than firing into the ground (as was customary in a delope), Hamilton intentionally fired into the air over Burr's head. Burr, perhaps misunderstanding his opponent's intent, fired at Hamilton and mortally wounded him. Burr and Hamilton's mutual animosity was such that it is not out of the question that Burr understood what Hamilton was doing but intentionally shot to kill or at least draw blood. Other historians have proposed that Burr shot first and the wounded Hamilton reflexively pulled the trigger, which would not be an instance of deloping. Ron Chernow's 2004 biography Alexander Hamilton gives that version. According to Chernow's account, the shots were all but simultaneous, with Burr's coming first according to one of the two witnesses (the other witness claimed that Hamilton had fired first and that Burr waited several seconds for the smoke to clear before he returned fire). Chernow noted that Hamilton, in a note left behind in case he died, claimed to have intended to throw away his first shot, which Burr would later call "contemptible, if true". Regardless of its accuracy, Burr certainly had no way of knowing. Hamilton's eldest son, Philip, had died in a duel against George Eacker three years earlier. According to legend, the elder Hamilton had advised his son to delope as well.[1]

Last edited:
Hamilton wasn’t written for old fogies. If you didn’t like Hamilton, chances are you’re an old fogy.

I'm half way through it now; just past the intermission. It's a 3 hour video of the NY play.

Interesting how they keep throwing in the maxim "I will not throw away my shot" since that's the opposite of what Hamilton said he'd do during his duel with Burr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloping

I'm finishing watching it on Disney plus.

It's really good.

Even if you don't like rap or spoken word performance, the choreography and music are top tier. It's also a brilliant concept to have 21st century black performance artists interpret the story of revolutionary America.

Back