Heisman Voting

Not true. Ohio State was out of the national championship picture when Eddie George won the Heisman.

George won it in 95, not exactly recent, but you are right. I should have specified that the recent trend is the voters seem to go for title contenders. At my age, 95 doesn't seem too long ago, but to some of these pups, fourteen years is half of their life so it must seem like ancient history.

Hmmm, I suppose I should avoid this one.

Smart man!

Back to the Heisman talk...I expect they will give it to Tebow or McCoy, not because either have done anything this year to really deserve it, but more for their bodies of work. Both have good college numbers, both are on teams that are in the top 5 every year, and both came back for their senior year. I could be way off, but if Florida and Texas end up in the NC game, I expect one of them to win the Heisman. It could be that I am just cynical about these Heisman voters though...

Well if you consider that prior to WWII pro football was a joke and the best athletes from college often went into business or the professions cause they could make more money you can start around 1950. If you consider a 4 year NFL career as succesful (average being 3) then the following Heisman Winners were succesfull.

Doke Walker (NFL HoF)
Leon Hart (8 years Detroit)
Alan Ameche (6 years Baltimore)
Paul Hornung (NFL HoF)
John David Crow (11 year NFL, 4 all pro)
Billy Cannon (11 year NFL, HoF candidate)
Roger Staubach (NFL HoF)
Mike Garret (8 year NFL)
Steve Spurrier (11 year NFL)
OJ Simpson (NFL HoF)
Steve Owens (5 year NFL, 1 All Pro)
Jim Plunket (16 year NFL)
Archie Griffen (7 year NFL)
Tony Dorsett (NFL HoF)
Earl Cambell (NFL HoF)
Billy Sims (5 year NFL, 3 All Pro)
Charles White (NFL 9 years)
George Rogers (7 year NFL, 2 All Pro)
Marcus Allen (NFL HoF)
Herschel Walker (3 year USFL, 12 year NFL, 2 All USFL, 2 All Pro)
Mike Rozier (8 year NFL)
Doug Flutie (21 year pro, 12 NFL)
Ty Detmer (14 year NFL)
Desmond Howard (14 year NFL, 1 All pro)
Eddie George (9 year NFL, 4 All Pro)
Charles Woodson (12 year NFL, 5 All Pro, current player)
Ricky Williams (11 year Pro, 10 NFL, 1 All Pro, current)
Ron Dayne (8 year NFL)
Carson Palmer (6 year NFL, 2 All Pro, Current)
Reggie Bush (5 year NFL, Current)
Troy Smith (3 year NFL, current)
Bradford and Tebow are still in college.

So not including Tebow and Bradford in the last 56 years 33 have had succesfull NFL careers and 8 have been Hall of Famers and that's not including Woodson who's sure to go to the Hall when he retires. In other words, I'd hardly call them outliers.

Smart man!

Back to the Heisman talk...I expect they will give it to Tebow or McCoy, not because either have done anything this year to really deserve it, but more for their bodies of work. Both have good college numbers, both are on teams that are in the top 5 every year, and both came back for their senior year. I could be way off, but if Florida and Texas end up in the NC game, I expect one of them to win the Heisman. It could be that I am just cynical about these Heisman voters though...
Not about the sports writers wing. I don't mean to sound harsh but sports journalist, particularly the ones in TV, often amaze me that they have the intellectual capacity to breath through their mouth, let alone knock down a 6 figure income and there the ones voting! I often shake my head about the clowns on ESPN. How can one be that stupid and hold down a job?

I guess it depends on what you consider a successful NFL career. Looking at the QB's on the list, and I am still talking recently here, Troy Smith is hardly what I would call a NFL success. RB's don't struggle as much as QB's in the move from college to the NFL so it isn't surprising to see them have as much success as they do, but winning the Heisman as a college QB really does seem to be the kiss of death for a NFL career.

Not about the sports writers wing. I don't mean to sound harsh but sports journalist, particularly the ones in TV, often amaze me that they have the intellectual capacity to breath through their mouth, let alone knock down a 6 figure income and there the ones voting! I often shake my head about the clowns on ESPN. How can one be that stupid and hold down a job?

I agree completely. I spend most of every game wondering if the announcers are watching the same game that I am!

Hmmm well when you consider he only played for one NFL team. LOL

But I stayed within the rules!!

Roger is exactly how you would expect him to be...just a great guy. Some of the other old guys that I used to love, not so much. I have really been disappointed in a couple.

I guess it depends on what you consider a successful NFL career. Looking at the QB's on the list, and I am still talking recently here, Troy Smith is hardly what I would call a NFL success. RB's don't struggle as much as QB's in the move from college to the NFL so it isn't surprising to see them have as much success as they do, but winning the Heisman as a college QB really does seem to be the kiss of death for a NFL career.
Yea calling Smith a success rignt now is a bit premature to say the least. The book is still out on him and Matt Leinart. Then there's Carson Palmer who if he stays healthy is putting up HoF numbers. I also think Tim Tebow is a solid NFL prospect.

I agree completely. I spend most of every game wondering if the announcers are watching the same game that I am!
I've known 4 NFL players, and not to judge the NFL by that, but two of them were complete arrogant assholes, one is a quiet private type average Joe and one (Jim Lachey) is just one hell of a nice guy.

Yea calling Smith a success rignt now is a bit premature to say the least. The book is still out on him and Matt Leinart. Then there's Carson Palmer who if he stays healthy is putting up HoF numbers. I also think Tim Tebow is a solid NFL prospect.

Yes Palmer is the bright spot on the list. And between Tebow and McCoy, Tebow seems most likely to be an NFL success. He's got size and mobility, decent arm, doesn't come a pure spread system, and has the brains and drive to succeed. McCoy is too fragile physically and mentally. He might be a project pick for a team, but I wouldn't waste a high draft pick on him.

I heard an analyst talk recently about big time college QB's struggles in the NFL. You played for a team that was usually way better than most of the teams they played. You had all day to look down field and not much worry about sacs.
Who makes it in the NFL now, guy's like Rothlessberger from Miami of Ohio. Guy's like Philip Rivers (you know he goes "all philip rivers on your fav team" went to NC state. Joe flacko went to Delaware DII school.

I heard an analyst talk recently about big time college QB's struggles in the NFL. You played for a team that was usually way better than most of the teams they played. You had all day to look down field and not much worry about sacs.
Who makes it in the NFL now, guy's like Rothlessberger from Miami of Ohio. Guy's like Philip Rivers (you know he goes "all philip rivers on your fav team" went to NC state. Joe flacko went to Delaware DII school.

Makes sense. I know they always talk about how much faster the game is and I am sure reading coverages gets a lot tougher. These guys that come from a spread offense are at even more of a disadvantage. They rarely get under center so when they have to start taking 3, 5, 7 step drops, they have even less time to read coverage, check off, and go through their progressions. So a QB that puts up huge numbers in college running a spread offense is less likely to make it in the NFL.

Makes sense. I know they always talk about how much faster the game is and I am sure reading coverages gets a lot tougher. These guys that come from a spread offense are at even more of a disadvantage. They rarely get under center so when they have to start taking 3, 5, 7 step drops, they have even less time to read coverage, check off, and go through their progressions. So a QB that puts up huge numbers in college running a spread offense is less likely to make it in the NFL.

Your Husband is already in heaven.:good4u:

Back